Sciotoville High School built by WPA Circa 1937
Karen Sue Wikoff collection
Reese's Hamburger Shop at Sciotoville, Ohio
Mark Howell collection
Sciotoville 1925 Stewart Ford Dealer
Sciotoville 1935 winter taken from the C&O Bridge
Gallia Street looking west showing Reese Hamburger Shop, Evans TV Repair and Stanley Theatreback in the 50's
Sciotoville School #1 Marshall Street Built: 1870 Demolished 1938
Sciotoville Lafayette School Kentland Avenue @ Harding Avenue Demolished 1950
Warren G. Harding, 6135 Harding Avenue Built 1930 Closed 2004 Demolished 2006
Millhuffs started 1931 & torn down Oct. 06, 2003
photo by Janet Nesler
Please email additions or corrections to email@example.com. Or mail to Waverly City Guide, 455 Hay Hollow Road, Chillicothe, Ohio 45601
N & W Station at Sciotoville was closed and razed in 1968 for highway widening project.
Sciotoville Christian Church
Sciotoville Methodist Episcopal Church c1930s
Sciotoville Methodist Church
N & W train with a 2-8-0 engine headed east bound crossing the little Scioto River at Sciotoville. Note the Rt. 52 covered bridge in the back ground.
Sciotoville Bridge, 1917, designed and built by two famous American Civil Engineers, Gustav Lindenthal, D.Sc. (1850-1935), the Consulting Engineer (and) David Barnard Steinman, D.Sc. (1887-1960), the designer and stress analyst. A double track railroad bridge of twin spans each 775 feet long, it remained until 1935 the longest continuous truss bridge in the world and stands today as the prototype for continuous structures. Its construction marked a major advance in the art of bridge engineering and was a pioneer achievement in continuous truss analysis. In beauty of design, size and erection techniques it stands as a landmark of progress in man's mastery of his environment.
Located intersection of Gallia St. and Eastern Avenue, on the Sciotoville side of the bridge at intersection. 38° 45.393 W 082° 53.06217S E 336265 N 4291447
Sciotoville 1884 Ornamental Letterhead A. YOST CIGARS, TOBACCO and PIPES
Sciotoville C & O Bridge under construction 1915-16
Sciotoville longest continuous truss span bridge in the world until barely passed in 1945
Sciotoville High School football team 1934
view of Sciotoville dated 1925.
Sciotoville High School football 1933 team. #40 Wm. L. Montgomery
Eakins Corner, Sciotoville c 1909
Sciotoville in the early 1930's
Sciotoville, named after the Little Scioto River, which flows into the Ohio River is located at the intersection of US 52 and SR. 335 between the village of New Boston and Wheelersburg along the northern bank of the Ohio River. It was founded in 1835 and platted in 1841 by William Brown. It was annexed by the city of Portsmouth in 1921.
Sciotoville was the first area in Scioto County to have been settled. From that settlement, a great deal of firsts came from the Sciotoville area. The first marriages, first births, first July 4th Celebration, first field cleared for crops, the first water mill and first house built. Bonsers held the first public celebration of the Fourth of July in the State of Ohio in 1808. People came from Chillicothe, Maysville, Gallipolis, and other places with about 300 persons were present.
Copyright © Hemry Radio Engineering LLC. All rights reserved.