Untitled

 (Harry McNeer, Sr.) shop on Second Street

Anderson Department Store later to become Sears

Doerr's Wonder Store, 741 Second Street, Portsmouth

hobby shop model railroad display that operated in Friendship from the 1940s to the early 1960s.

J. Eisman & Brothers located on Front Street

Anderson Department Store in 1915 later to become Sears

Dr. West's Drugs 4th and Chillicothe Street

Bagbys Grocery with Glockner Hardware behind

Lehman's Shoe Store that stood at 3rd & Chillicothe Streets in 1909

Portsmouth Ardzli Tea Room

Portsmouth Mrs. A. Knittle's Baked Goods

Portsmouth Pure Milk Co.

Portsmouth Pure Milk Company is an Ohio Corporation For-Profit filed on March 8, 1933. The company's filing status is listed as Dead and its File Number is 154393. The Registered Agent on file for this company is L P Cranston and is located at Gallia And Clay Streets Portsmouth, OH 45662.The company has 3 principals on record. The principals are Effie C. Compton, Jessie C. Lemon, and L P. Cranston. Company age at filling 81 Years, 2 Months.

The Heer Engine Co of Portsmouth, Ohio announced their first tractor in 1912. At the time it was the only four-wheel drive tractor on the market.

March 1931 Ad

1914 Heer Engine Company  Ad

The Ideal Engine Company was headquartered in Portsmouth, Ohio. It became The Heer Engine Company, with Chris Heer as president and Oscar Ehrman as chief engineer and tool designer. The firm was reorganized as The Reliable Engine Company in 1915. Its primary product was a line of opposed-piston gas engines that originated with Ideal, although at least one one-cylinder, hopper-cooled gas engine was built as a prototype. Heer also introduced a wheel tractor in 1912; these were the only four-wheel drive tractors on the market at the time.


Portsmouth Old Capitol Brewer

Portsmouth Vulcan Golf workers 130 Second Street

Brick Industry in Portsmouth

Portsmouth Granite Brick Company
photo by Tyrone Hemry taken in Huntington, WV at old B & O station

Scioto Star, Fire Brick Works about 1907

photo by Tyrone Hemry taken in Huntington, WV at old B & O station

Portsmouth block

photo by Tyrone Hemry taken in Huntington, WV at old B & O station
The stone quarry employed over 300 people at its peak of operation. The stone from this area was said to be unique because it supposedly had small traces of oil embedded in it which made the stone more waterproof and able to stand up against the weather better without chipping or eroding away. Also near the quarry, there was supposedly a hidden tunnel leading from the banks of the Ohio River, that runaway slaves used after getting off of boats stopped nearby. Rumor is the tunnel is still there.

Portsmouth old Veneer Works. Front Street. Early 1900'S

Spat factory workers on Front Street

Portsmouth Refractories west of Chillicothe Street Viaduct (where DQ and B-Dubs is now)

The Portsmouth Veneer and Panel Company 1910.

T M Patterson paper box company

Portsmouth Machine & Casting Company 1910

Scioto Hominy Company business card

Stockman Co.

Ohio Stove Company 1910 made stoves and ranges

Scioto Hominy Company 1910 maker of corn products

Portsmouth Ohio Industry & Business pictures and information

Imperial Roller Mills located in the 8th and Boundary area

Scioto distillery, 2 ½ miles north of Portsmouth

Harsha Flour Mill provided flour and feed

1873 Revare & Hamer Druggists at South East corner of 6th and Chillicothe

Interior view of The Hanson Furniture Company


Hamburger Inn No. 2 Lawrence Vickers is the 4th from the left. The photo 1932

Business College Interior

Stewart's Cut Rate Drugs

Findies's Place West Third Street

Dry goods store at 2nd and Market streets

Baseman's Dancing Academy corner Chillicothe and 7th Streets

Portsmouth Ice house 13 Feb 2009

photo by Tyrone Hemry

Portsmouth ice house taken by Roy around Halloween before the wind storm blew it down

Samuel Horchow Company 806 Chillicothe Street 1910

Portsmouth Ice House

Gilbert Grocery Company fire October 1910


Gilbert Grocery Company fire October 24, 1910.

Gilbert Grocery Co.

W. M. Payne Groceries

Portsmouth Gilbert Grocery  Located at 2nd and Washington. Later became West End Electric Company

 Lawrence Vickers is the 4th from the left. The photo from 1932

1852 LETTERHEAD RECEIPT  TO D. WOLFARD DR  WHOLESALE HAT CAP & FUR WAREHOUSE Front St., Portsmouth, OH May 10, 1852

B. Augustin Wholesale Grocer at corner of Front & Court Streets Portsmouth

Please email additions or corrections to hladvertising@hotmail.com. Or mail to Waverly City Guide, 455 Hay Hollow Road, Chillicothe, Ohio 45601

Herms floral in1910 6th & Chillicothe Streets

Portsmouth Pure station at Kinney's Lane & Scioto Trail

Portsmouth Glockners in 1940

Herb Gammon collection

Portsmouth Ice house 13 Feb 2009

photo by Tyrone Hemry

picture showing old ice house

J.I. Marsh Ice- In the McDowell Bldg-10th below Offnere per 1901 Directory

 Schaefer's Self Serve Market

Portsmouth, O., Oct 24.--The four-story main office and wareroom of the Gilbert Wholesale Grocery company burned.  The loss on the structure and contents is $200,000 practically covered by insurance.  The Marion Daily Star, Marion, OH 24 Oct 1910