Untitled

First National Bank 1929 National Curency $20.00 bill

Portsmouth Savings & Loan safe door
photo by Tyrone Hemry 10 Sep 2018

Portsmouth Savings & Loan gate inside the safe

photo by Tyrone Hemry 10 Sep 2018

Portsmouth Savings & Loan was at 843 Gallia Street, Portsmouth. A view of the building as it looks now
photo by Tyrone Hemry 10 Sep 2018

Interior view of the US Bank in the Masonic building in Portsmouth
photo by Tyrone Hemry February 2016

First National Bank 1903 $10.00 bill

Portsmouth First National Bank about 1908 looking east on 5th Street

Interior view of the US Bank in the Masonic building in Portsmouth

photo by Tyrone Hemry February 2016

    This is now the southern Ohio museum across from the Columbia a magnificent example of the beaux arts style of architecture, dating to 1918, when it was erected by George D. Selby — the city’s most famous shoe manufacturer. The building was originally designed and constructed specifically to house Selby’s Security Savings Bank & Trust Company. His likeness, along with his hero, Abraham Lincoln, can be found in friezes on the building’s ceilings.

     In 1904, Selby had joined with others in the local shoe industry, including members of the Williams and Heer family, to organize the bank.

     Just after the stock market crash in 1929, George D. Selby’s Security Savings Bank merged with Central National Bank of Portsmouth, the first bank to establish its headquarters on the Esplanade

picture from Karen Sue Wikoff collection

Another Upstairs hall view of the former Portsmouth Savings & Loan building
photo by Tyrone Hemry 10 Sep 2018

Our thanks to Stephanie owner of Georgian Portraits for the tour to take these pictures


Portsmouth Citizens Savings deposit

     American Savings Bank has served the Portsmouth, Ohio area since 1892, and it expanded its market into the Cincinnati, Ohio, area in November 2012, with the acquisition of Cottage Savings Bank. American conducts business in Portsmouth, from its main office at 503 Chillicothe Street and its drive-through at 907 Chillicothe Street, and operates from branch offices at 951 West Emmitt Avenue in Waverly, Ohio; 7920 Ohio River Road in Wheelersburg, Ohio; 9813 Montgomery Road 7114 Miami Avenue in Cincinnati, Ohio; and 347 James Hannah Drive in South Shore, Kentucky. 

First National Bank 1903 $5.00 bill

Portsmouth Savings & Loan safe door.  Note gate just inside
photo by Tyrone Hemry 10 Sep 2018

In 1892, American Savings & Loan started out as the Portsmouth German Savings & Loan.

Dave Huffman collection

Upstairs hall view of the former Portsmouth Savings & Loan building
photo by Tyrone Hemry 10 Sep 2018

Portsmouth Ohio Valley Bank and Martings

Portsmouth National Bank check

Portsmouth inside Security Central bank when it was in what is now the Royal 

Please email additions or corrections to hladvertising@hotmail.com.
Or mail to Waverly City Guide, 455 Hay Hollow Road, Chillicothe, Ohio 45601

2nd November 1950 The Republican Herald

This bank has since become American Savings Bank
The Central National Bank of Portsmouth charter number 7781 in Portsmouth was granted a Federal charter in 1905. The bank issued 9 type of notes.

Portsmouth Bank Employees

Portsmouth Interior Lobby Security Central National Bank
      In June of 1893, James W. Newman, the former proprietor and editor of the Portsmouth Daily Times, became president of the newly formed Central Savings Bank, which opened its business in what was then the brand new Kricker Building, named for its owner and builder George E. Kricker Newman’s bank presidency was followed by that of Levi D. York, the former owner of Portsmouth's Burgess Steel Mill. Eventually, after reorganizing under a federal charter in 1905, George E. Kricker became president of Central National Bank, and it would be Kricker who presided over the newly merged Security Central National Bank during the Great Depression.
January 15, 1933 George Kricker was re-elected president of Security Central National bank

This is what the building looked like January 2012 shown in the above picture

photo by Tyrone Hemry

Built in 1917 at 825 -27 Gallia Street, Portsmouth. Above the front windows are large replicas of the 1917 half-dollar and quarter. In 1918 the bank business was moved from across the street.  With a merger in 1930 with Central National Bank of Portsmouth it became the Security Central Bank.  In 1952 an expansion was made into the building at 829 Gallia.  In 1976 the bank moved once again into the former Montgomery Ward Building and donated the former building to the city for use as a museum.  The bank is now Fifth Third bank.

Security Bank probably early 1920's

Future Home of Security Bank in 1910

April 25, 1933Gilbert Monroe, former president of Ohio Valley bank and his wife were sued for $67,000 by the superintendent of banks in Ohio in charge of liquidating the local bank.

August 29, 1933 Checks for 20 per cent of the deposits of the Ohio Valley bank were given to the depository.

Masonic Temple housing The Ohio Valley Bank.  The bank there now is US Bank. 

March 6, 1933 Portsmouth banks closed entirely in cooperation with President Roosevelt's bank holiday throughout the nation.

March 7, 1933 Portsmouth banks opened on restricted basis. March 15, 1933 Security Central National Bank and Portsmouth Banking Co., opened on unrestricted basis, but First National Bank remained on restricted basis.

March 17, 1933 Announcement was made that the First National Bank would operate under a conservator.

March 23, 1933 C. A. Brown, newly appointed president of First National Bank was designated as conservator.

April 5, 1933 In his first "official" act in office, Executive Order 6102, President Roosevelt declared a banking "holiday" and issued the order to confiscate gold.  In this act of theft, the citizens of the United States of America were compensated at the "official" price of $20.67 an ounce. That was the "official" price of gold for 97 years. Following the confiscation, the dollar was devalued by 40% - and the price of gold was revalued upwards to $35 an ounce. 

August 9, 1934 a Presidential Proclamation ordered all silver bullion surrendered to the Treasury within 90 days and a 50 percent tax was levied on any profits from the sale of silver. The sellers were paid 50.1 cents per ounce.

April 24, 1933 C. E. Noeller resigned as vice president of First National bank were he had been employed for many years.

September 29, 1933 Depositors group of First National bank began the sale of stock for the new bank.

October 6, 1933 Dan Conroy, former president of First National Bank and Clarence Nodler, former vice-president, were indicted on federal charges of false entries.

October 20, 1933 Charter for new bank was approved and stock was rsised for the National bank of Portsmouth, successor to First National bank.

October 24, 1933 Clarence Nodler and Dan Conroy, former bank officials pleaded guilty to charges of false entries.

November 3, 1933 Sale of liquid assets of First National bank of $1,500,000 was approved and the new National bank of Portsmouth made the purchase.

November 15, 1933 Approvimately $1,500,000 was released by the National Bank of Portsmouth successor to First National Bank to 11,600 depositors.

December 20, 1933 Judge M. F. Kimble was appointed receiver for the First National bank.


The First National Bank of Portsmouth charter number 68 in Portsmouth was granted a Federal charter in 1863. The bank issued 22 type of notes.

Portsmouth National Bank 1865 $5 Note back

Portsmouth  National Bank 1865 $5 Note

First National Bank, Portsmouth, Ohio about 1918, 428 Chillicothe Street, building before other half built

Portsmouth First National Bank, 428 Chillicothe Street, building before other half built.

Gallia Street looking west. Note First National Bank Building on left.

Colonel Peter Kinney

Iron National Bank Portsmouth stock certificate 187_

Looking east on 5th Street showing First National Bank

Portsmouth early residence of Col. Peter Kinney

President of the Kinney National Bank


He was born in Portsmouth, was one of the originators of the Scioto and Hocking Valley Railroad, served with distinction as Colonel of the Fifty-sixth Ohio Volunteers, and was one of the oldest bankers in the State, having engaged in the banking business over forty-five years.

He served in the Civil War and organized the 56th Ohio Infantry at Camp Morrow in Portsmouth, OH. which, under his command, mustered in for three years of service on December 12, 1861. They took the field in February at Fort Donelson, and in April was at Shiloh.

Peter entered the service on Sept 11, 1861 and resigned on April 3, 1863

First President of the Portsmouth National Bank located in the corner of the Elk Building at the corner of Second and Court Street.

Peter Kinney and Elizabeth Redhead were married on 14 December 1830 in Portsmouth, Scioto Co., Ohio. Elizabeth Redhead (Immigrant) was born on 24 June 1814 in Penrith, Cumberland, ENGLAND. She died on 5 March 1887 in Portsmouth, Scioto Co., Ohio.

In the 1870's, Colonel Peter Kinney built a home on the flats near the upper end of Springville, where the family summered. This house was later known as the McAllister place.

Of the ten children born to Peter Kinney and Elizabeth Redhead (pronounced "Redded") only two, John Wesley and Emma Dora lived to adulthood. The other eight died at ages varying from three weeks to 12 years.

OBITUARY: "The Bankers Magazine" - Banking and Financial Items, Pg.231 Sept, 1877)

By the late 1880s, Portsmouth had four banks.
Banking in Portsmouth, Ohio
 Thomas Dugan. grandfather of Dr. Thomas (2) Dugan, of Huntington, was born, according to one tradition, in Ireland, and according to another in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. When a young man he removed to Portsmouth, Ohio, where he engaged in mercantile business, later becoming a leading banker of that city. He was president of the Farmers' National Bank of Portsmouth, and loaned the money with which the site of the city of Huntington was purchased. He married Levenia Mackoy, born in Kentucky, and they were the parents of two children: i. James S., of whom further. 2. Fannie, became the wife of J. C. Adams, a prominent citizen of Portsmouth, and died in 1885, at the age of thirty-two years, leaving two children : Earl and William, now engaged in the manufacture of fire-arms and fire-works in Portsmouth.http://yesteryearsnews.wordpress.com/tag/portsmouth-oh/ Eli Kinney was born in Portsmouth, Ohio, in 1810. He and his wife, Martha S. Lodwick were married at the residence of James Lodwick, the old Buckeye House on Front street. They went to housekeeping in the east side of the double brick in the rear of All Saints Chapel. Mr. Kinney then had a salary of $400 per year and he and his wife thought they were rich. In 1849, he built the brick dwelling on the southwest corner of Court and Fourth streets and lived there until his removal to Cincinnati. He began his business career in the old Commercial Bank below Lynn's livery stable. He afterwards went into business two doors below Gilbert's store on Front street. The firm was E. Kinney & Company and was composed of himself, Peter Kinney and William Hall. He retired from this firm in 1846 and became the founder of the Portsmouth branch of the State Bank of Ohio, and was its first cashier. A HISTORY OF SCIOTO COUNTY, OHIO, TOGETHER WITH A PIONEER RECORD OF SOUTHERN OHIO -- BY NELSON W. EVANS, A, M. 1903

The Portsmouth Banking Company...now Patties and Pints.

Freda Craig Shaw collection

      In 1974, Harry Kuhner, the president of Security Central National Bank decided to move out of Selby’s and Kricker’s old beaux arts building and into a modern, remodeled former department store, the old Montgomery Ward building.

     Since then there have been several bank changes at this site and is now know as Fifth Third.

Iron National Bank of Portsmouth stock

Portsmouth before 1st national Bank 

Chris Lewallen collection