N & W view from tower # 4 March 19, 1928
N & W train station 10th and Waller c 1920
N & W steam engine # 600. Look at its size compared to the men working on it.
N & W Wheelersburg Station
Scioto Valley RR map 1887
N & W train station 10th and Waller and crowd
The roundhouse at Portsmouth, Ohio
Lucasville Depot was opened September 13, 1877 by the Scioto Valley Rail Road. The first scheduled train making the trip from Columbus to Portsmouth was a special excursion created for George C Chapman builder and manager of the rail road on December 28, 1877 with more than 100 guests. The N & W acquired the rail road in 1890. The octagonal tower was remove in 1926 when the depot was remodeled. An addition extended the building from 40 feet to 70 feet in order to make room for more freight. Passenger service ended with the last run of the Pocahontas in 1968. The building was razed in 1969.
N & W steam engine #2006
The Scioto Valley & New England Railroad Company tock certificate
N & W Depot Portsmouth 1913 10th and Waller
Wrecked cars N & W taken near Vera
Gallia Street looking west
N & W steam engine # 220 at Portsmouth yards
Scioto Valley Railroad connections 1887
N & W train about 1908
N & W view from tower # 5 March 19, 1928
N & W # 1335 near passenger station 1948
N & W steam engine # 444 at yard Oct 1957
N & W Car Yard Portsmouth
N & W Lucasville depot 13 Nov 1968
N & W Depot Portsmouth 1972
N & W steam engine #1218 a 2 6 6 4 North of Portsmouth 5 Aug 1991
N & W steam engine # 2141 Portsmouth 12 Jun 1959
Portsmouth O N & W train crew (N & W)
N & W train yards "The Hump" about 1948
N & W & Scioto river near Portsmouth c 1913
N & W Engine terminal ca. 1955. 4-8-0 #1117, tenders, burro crane, etc. Coal dock
N & W yards in 1948
N & W Cabouse # 557534 in 1952
1978 N & W Train in Portsmouth, Ohio
N &W 1974 engines 234 & 1775
N & W 1906 RR tract Scioto Co
Portsmouth N & W Station during 1913 flood
N & W class A #1207 northbound just north of Lucasville around 1955
Taken near the Scioto Valley RR depot, which was along Chillicothe Street just a few yards south of where Dairy Queen is today.
N & W Depot Portsmouth 1914 10th and Waller
N&W depot at Lucasville, seen here in 1961. Courtesy of Thomas Adkins of the Lucasville Historical Society.
Railway Age January 1, 1922
Norfolk And Western Terminals in Portsmouth, Ohio
The Scioto Valley Railroad was organized in February, 1875, and lost no time building, reaching
Chillicothe from Columbus in July, 1876.
It was a standard gauge railroad with 56 pound rail. It operated regular from Chillicothe with four
locomotives, eight passenger cars, and fifty five freight cars.
The road was thru to Portsmouth amid a great celebration in January,1878.
N & W Powhatan Arrow at Portsmouth 1950
N & W Depot Portsmouth about 1908 10th and Waller
N & W pasanger depot Portsmouth 1896
N & W view from tower # 8 March 19, 1928
1937 flood N & W engine at N & W depot
N & W # 603 last passenger steam engine at station on Scioto division 20 July 1958
Probably Portsmouth about 1920, man on the right is N&W Conductor D.G. Bandy,Columbus District Conductor, employed by N & W round 1906. He retired 1955. The other man may be John Spaulding, employed by N & W in 1917. Photo owned by Bill Massie
N & W passenger depot Portsmouth 1896
N & W Terminals in 1920, Portsmouth
Building the Scioto Valley Railroad
Chillicothe street with N & W tracts 1924
N & W RR 1908 Portsmouth
Construction of the Scioto Valley Railway was completed in 1887. Twelve years later, the Scioto Valley Railway reorganized as the Scioto Valley & New England Railroad
In 1890, the N&W acquired the Scioto Valley Railway, an isolated 126-mile line that ran from a small town near Columbus to Coal Grove, Ohio, located across the river from Kenova.
In 1982, two giants of the region merged as the N&W and the Southern Railway System became the Norfolk Southern Corporation.
N & W steam engine # 1224 a 2-6-6-4 at Portsmouth
Portsmouth N & W Station about 1933
N & W just in from Williamson run Portsmouth July, 1948
N & W passenger station 7 Oct 1932 Portsmouth. At the other end of the station was a separate building housing the Railway Express Agency and independent company owning their own baggage cars which would have to be attached by switchers to the train.
N & W Sciotoville Station
N & W & Scioto river near Portsmoth c 1913
N & W 2-8-0 crossing little Scioto bridge at Sciotoville with RT 52 covered bridge in background c 1900 from Tom Dressler collection
N & W depot at 10th & Waller Streets to give a proper send-off to Portsmouth's Company 'K' troops leaving for World War I. Picture is dated October 14, 1917
N & W steam engine #1142 switching at Portsmouth station
N & W Depot Portsmouth
N & W Coaling plant at Portsmouth 1927
Type your paragraph here.
N & W round house Portsmouth about 1948
N & W steam engine # 1420
N & W Round House force at in 1906.
From the Norfolk Southern archives
N & W Car Yard in Portsmouth
N & W steam engine # 451 at Portsmouth, Sep 4, 1954
N & W RR 1927 right away map in Portsmouth
N & W taken in November 1968 by Tom Dressler. View is looking west toward Gallia Street (hence the name 'GS') crossing.
N & W eng 134 in Portsmouth 1948
Portsmouth N & W round house being taken down
via Cherri Howell Trump
Copyright © Hemry Radio Engineering LLC. All rights reserved.