Formed as Harrisonville in 1859, but its name was changed to Minford in 1917 due to the construction of the C&O Railroad, as there was another town along the railroad already named Harrisonville.

Dixon's Mill stood on the Little Scioto River in Harrison Twp. in Scioto Co.

Mark Howell collection

Wheeler's Mill in Scioto Co. was located on what is now SR 335 near Minford, Ohio. The dirt road in front of the mill ran all the way to Sciotoville. 

Mark Howell collection 

The school crossing guard in front of the A.L. Rickey store at Minford, Ohio in Scioto Co. 

Mark Howell collection

Appliances waiting for a new home are lined up at Minford Farm Supply at Minford, Ohio

Mark Howell collection

Wheeler's Mill southeast of Minford

The Frowine Hardware Store in Minford

Another photo of the Devil's Tea Top aka Devil's Tea Table near Minford.

Early photo of the Devil's Tea Top aka Devil's Tea Table near Minford.

Please email additions or corrections to hladvertising@hotmail.com. Or mail to Waverly City Guide, 455 Hay Hollow Road, Chillicothe, Ohio 45601

Thrift Market at Minford

The Minford Volunteer Fire Department back in the day

A collection of different old milk bottles from J.D. Poole & Sons Dairy in Minford

The Sunshine Church of Christ in Minford, August 8, 1943

Powell's Greenhouse on East St. in Minford, in later years it would be Cunningham's Greenhouse.

Pfleger's General Store Minford in1950's

The first train to come through Harrisonville (now known as Minford) in 1916, This was a Chesapeake & Ohio Northern RR line.

The behemoth of a C & O steam locomotive that followed the first train through Harrisonville (now Minford)  in 1916.

Minford High School band

Minford school buses in 1946

Swauger Valley School, Swauger Valley Road, Harrison Township, Ohio
Sunshine, School, St. Rt. 335, Harrison Township, Ohio
Bonser Run School, Bonser Run Road, Harrison Township, Ohio

Minford Crawford's Self Serve Market

Minford High School built in 1923 and demolished 2007 picture from 1943

Grace Baptist Church was organized on January 13, 1959, at the Glendale School with six members. The ministry of this church has influenced many people for Jesus. Today we are a unified group of Christ followers who are desiring to know God and His son Jesus even more. Our main purpose is to exalt Jesus in all we do. We want to make a big deal out of our Savior. We try to teach like He did, Love like He did, and Live like He did. God gives us many opportunities to meet and worship together and to live out our faith together. Minford, Ohio is where we are located and we believe God can and will change the world through us. We care for our town, state, country and world and are excited to see How God is going to use us to help build His Kingdom.

Minford Rural School 1924 built in 1917

Minford High School 1936 Graduation Announcement

The Minford was originally formed as Harrisonville in 1859, but its name was changed to Minford in 1917 due to the construction of the C & O Railroad as there was another town along the railroad already named Harrisonville. The Railroad Company asked the town to change its name.  The people responded by changing the name to Minford, in honor of the local blacksmith.

Minford has its own telephone company for residences in Minford and Stockdale. 

In 1911 the area had no telephones. The farmers got together and built their own rural lines, with 16 to 20 parties on a single line. Each mutual group bought its own line, elected its own officers and charged its own dues, usually about 25 cents a month.

In 1912, the Citizens Independent Telephone Company was organized.  The first president of the Citizens Independent Telephone Company was Raleigh E. Bennett. Alice Gampp, the Minford company's bookkeeper, is married to Albert Gampp, a grandson of Mr. Bennett. George W. Allen was the first secretary of the infant company. He held that office until 1940.

Around 1912, the Stockdale community organized a telephone company, called the Tri-County Telephone Association. William Thompson was one of its first officers. For many years Ray Conkel served as secretary-treasurer of the company.

With the formation of these telephone companies, people on one line could talk to anyone on any of the other lines. Previously, without switchboards, each person had been restricted to those on his own party line.

All party lines were originally one-wire grounded circuits, but when electricity was introduced to the area the power lines interfered with he telephone lines. Some of the telephones on a line would mysteriously ring when no on was calling the number. So the telephone companies changed to two-wire lines. The five ringing frequencies, defferentiating the rings on the party lines, were also changed.

Minford, Ohiozip code 45653

Wheeler's Mill  side view of and the dam which once stood on what is now SR 335 near Minford

Mark Howell collection

A Minford, Ohio school class in Scioto Co. in 1961-1962 with Mrs. Bennett, teacher. 

Mark Howell collection

Gene Stockholm's Minford Body Shop back in the day at Minford, Ohio in Scioto Co. 

Mark Howell collection

Untitled

Mill dam on the Little Scioto River at Wheeler's Mill in Scioto Co.

Wheat binder on Frank Knore's farm at south end of Scioto County Airport about the mid 1930's.   

Leon Knore photo

The Minford Volunteer Fire Department back in the day

Mark Howell collection

The Minford first grade class, 1960-61 school year, train ride field trip from the N&W Depot in Portsmouth about to begin 

Minford Body Shop was owned and operated by Gene Stockholm back in the day. 

Mark Howell collection