Untitled

N & W #611 at Rushtown about 1993 during making of Lee Jeans commercial.

The NS has railbanked the line east of Peebles to Vera Junction at Portsmouth.

N & W RR on the Portsmouth west side and also showing the old Ohio & Erie Canal bed

N & W # 611 at Vera (behind AEP & Stag Bar) headed toward Cincinnati

Vera Tower was located behind the current AEP building at the Portsmouth City Limits. The tower hand operated the switch for trains coming and going on the Cincinnati and Columbus districts. That area is still called Vera.

Portsmouth west side train picture

Portsmouth N & W Scioto River Bridge during the 1913 Flood from Ed Fannin collection

N & W Bridge at Portsmouth c 1913

Portsmouth C P & V passenger station with Junction Hotel to left

N & W Vera Bridge high water 1997

 Photo and information via Elaine Weaver-Cresie 
Train wreck on the C P & V in Rarden on September 4, 1893, that killed Francis Marion Weaver, grand father of Elaine Weaver-Cresie. He worked for The Rarden Manufacturing Company, as a night watchman. The Rarden Manufacturing Company was within 10 feet away from a stopped train. The engineer was a friend of my Grandfathers. So Grandpa got up on the steps to talk to his friend and keep warm because it was a chilly night. It was about 3 a.m. The switchman left his post...leaving a 16 year old boy to change the switches. He neglected to do so and the other train, The Owl, ran right into the train my Grandpa was standing on. He was scalded to death, but lived for several hours before he passed. He begged a deputy to shoot him, but he wouldn't. Several people on both trains were killed and one of the trains ran into a boarding house belonging to Mrs. Brown, but amazingly, no one in it was harmed. The locomotive on the left was CP&V locomotive #10 was parked on the siding at the plant unloading or loading goods. The engineer and fireman on #10 both got off to observe a passing work train going in the opposite direction, while Mr. Weaver climbed aboard to get warm. Shortly before 2 am the work train (on the right in this photo) approached and entered the same siding at a high rate of speed due to an unsecure switch lock that Elaine mentioned. The engineer and fireman on the locomotive at right (engine number not known) and Mr. Weaver perished. Unbelievably locomotive #10 was rebuilt in Portsmouth and returned to service. When the C P & V was purchased by the N&W in 1901, #10 was renumbered as N&W locomotive #716. In 1904 it was renumbered again to N&W #521 which it remained until it was scrapped in January 1912. The fate of the other locomotive is not known. Where the man is standing on the right under the "&" on the locomotive tender, is where the cab of the locomotive on the right should be. Crunched it like an accordian. (this additional information by Jim Detty) There was another train wreck in Rarden September 11, 1919 that killed the grand son of Francis Weaver, Dorris Weaver, at the age of 19. He worked for the railroad and was on a work detail. He was in one of the open cars, along with his cousin, Selby Weaver, when the train was hit by another train, throwing them both over an embankment. Dorris was instantly killed and Selby's back was broken. His son, Roy Weaver, was suppose to work with them that day. He never missed work, but missed that day because he was sick.  Francis Marion Weaver is buried in Newman Cemetery outside of Rarden.

N & W & Scioto river near Portsmouth c 1913

 Here is some history on the C&E.  It was chartered as the Cincinnati, Batavia & Williamsburg on January 11, 1876, but the name was changed and the projected route was extended to Portsmouth in May. In October 1876, the line was opened from Batavia Junction to Batavia, a distance of 15 miles, and by August of the next year, the railroad had reached Winchester, a distance of 48 miles.  In June, a 5.5-mile western extension to the Miami Valley Railroad, later the CL&N Idlewild, was completed. It was constructed to the Miami Valley Railroad, who had promised a narrow-gauge connection via the Deer Creek valley to Cincinnati.  When the Deer Creek tunnel project ran into financial difficulties, the C&E found that its connection to Cincinnati was completely useless for four years. The railroad soon went into receivership in January 1879 due to failures to collect stock subscriptions, but exited that in 1881.  At a meeting in November 1880 the shareholders voted to increase the capital stock from $500,000 to $2 million, and to authorize a bond issue to connect the railroad to Portsmouth and beyond to Gallipolis.  In 1882, trackage rights were secured via the Deer Creek valley to Court Street in Cincinnati.  By the end of 1882, the C&E had reached Peebles, 72 miles from the Court Street depot.  In May 1883, the railroad had reached Rarden, and Henley in late July. The C&E was completed to Portsmouth in 1884, with a 1,000-foot truss over the Scioto River as its centerpiece. In 1886, the railroad was sold to the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton (C H&D), which defaulted and was sold to the Ohio & Northwestern Railroad (O&NW). The railroad went into receivership soon after, and in 1889, the railroad completed five miles of the long-projected Gallipolis extension from Portsmouth to Sciotoville.  In 1891, the railroad reorganized under the Cincinnati, Portsmouth & Virginia Railroad (C P & V), which merged with the Norfolk & Western (N&W) in October 1901.  In 1913, the Scioto River Bridge was replaced with a multi-span truss constructed by the American Bridge Company. Other trestle replacements included the construction of a girder span over Dry Run in 1941 by the Virginia Bridge Company.  In 1947, the N&W east of Peebles to Jaybird via Jaybird Creek was realigned when a quarry opened along Plum Run that required the railroad to be rerouted to the north and east. It included a new trestle above Cedar Fork and several miles of new trackage.  In 1982, the Norfolk & Western Railway consolidated with the Southern Railway to form the Norfolk Southern Corporation, and the railroad became the Norfolk Southern.

Cincinnati Portsmouth & Virginia Railroad (later to become N & W RR) freight depot Portsmouth

This freight station was on the corner of Waller and 10th Streets. It was on the north side of the tracks on the east side of Waller.

Cincinnati Portsmouth & Virginia Railroad was incorporated June 24, 1891. This company was formerly the Ohio and Northwestern Railroad Company, organized February 12, 1886. The line of this road extended from Idlewild, Ohio, to Sciotoville, Ohio, a distance of 108 miles.  On November 14, 1899, the Cincinnati, Portsmouth and Virginia Railroad leased the track of the Cincinnati Connecting Belt Railroad for 99 years, renewable forever, guaranteeing the payment of the $200,000 first mortgage 5 per cent gold bonds of the Cincinnati Connecting Belt Railroad, dated July 1, 1899, due July 1, 1929.


Cincinnati, Portsmouth, Virginia RR in Scioto County, Ohio  and successor N & W

N & W Depot Henly, early 1900s

N & W skewed metal truss pony bridge with a pedestrian walkway along the left side spanning Rarden Creek looking along West Main Street, Rarden

Sardinia depot,  notice milk cans

Mark Howell collection

looking at the Bridge across the Scioto river at Portsmouth
photo by Tyrone Hemry 27 June 2017

N & W Otway Freight Station

A ca. 1935 photo of railroad work hands at the tool shed just a few yards east of the depot at Seaman, Adams Co. Ohio.  L to R   Fred, Ira, and Porter Wickerham.  

Mark Howell collection

N &  W Otway depot
This station was originally located on Walnut Street on the NE side of the tracks. It was relocated a short distance away from the original location to the intersection of SR 348 and SR 73. Torn down in late September of 1999. A new mini-mart gas station was built on this site.

Sardina depot the other end view

1913 Flood N & W Vera Bridge crew rebuilding peer from Ed Fannin collection

1899 Cincinnati, Portsmouth, Virginia RR waybill

N & W Sardinia depot, unknown date 

Mark Hockman collection

Northfolk & Western work crew & cars at Otway, Ohio

Gary Minor collection

N & W Henley Depot

McDerment Depot

Another view of the Otway Ohio RR cross tie and post yard on the Pea Vine. Said to be the largest shipper of cross ties on the N&W Rail System

Peebles, Ohio Depot

N &  W Otway depot

Otway, Ohio Depot

The first depot was built by the narrow-gauge Cincinnati & Eastern around 1876 and used until replaced by N&W in 1905.  The N&W in 1905 built this depot out of stone from a nearby quarry.  It was closed May 10, 1968 and razed April 1969. This station was on the south side of Barker Street at the intersection with McDerment Pond Creek Road (formerly part of Maple Street).

Norfolk and Western Marked milk can from Otway, Ohio  Andrew Lore collection

Big Shimmer trestle west of Peebles, Adams Co.Ohio was a magnificent wooded structure constructed by the Cincinnati and Eastern in 1881. The trestle however turned deadly in 1906 when it collapsed under the locomotive of a N&W freight train, sending the entire train off the bridge. Killed was the flagman who was riding in the caboose seen on the left. Viewed here during the massive cleanup. Big Shimmer trestle was never rebuilt as the area was filled in with earth following this tragedy. Old-timers state the remainder of the bridge, the freight cars and the locomotive itself were also buried inside the fill.

Ed Fannin collection pictures and information

​ Ed Fannin worked 40 years on the Peavine starting in 1945 and collected a lot of its history from the old timers he worked with.



Wood timber trestle crossing Scioto Brush Creek at Otway on the Peavine to transport blocks of stone from the Quarry on the hill to the stone mill in Otway.

Norvel Davis collection

Otway Ohio showing RR tracts

Gary Minor collection

Otway Ohio RR cross tie and post yard on the Pea Vine. Said to be the largest shipper of cross ties on the N&W Rail System

P V & C Engine No. 2 at Portsmouth, Ohio, June 1, 1896 (Newton Huddleson, crossing flagman by engine pilot; John Nash, brakeman in white uniform; R.M. Moore, bag master in skull cap

N & W Depot, Henley, Scioto Co., OH about 1900

Seaman, Ohio Depot

29 December 1983 story

Picture taken back in the 80's. The 611 coming into Portsmouth over the Scioto River


Sardina depot end view

Portsmouth N & W Scioto River Bridge during the 1913 Flood

N & W Frozen water tower at Rarden winter 1917-1918. Building lower left is the Kizer Sawmill built in 1880

Cincinnati Portsmouth & Virginia Railroad stock

Sardina 611 pulling an excursion train past Sardinia depot in June 198?

Portsmouth N & W Scioto River Bridge being repaired after the 1913 Flood from Ed Fannin collection


President William Howard Taft speaking from the rear platform of his campaign train at the N&W McDerment depot on May 4, 1912

N&W Section Gang on the Pea Vine at Otway

 Pat Davis photo collection

Cincinnati Portsmouth & Virginia Railroad stock

1908 railroad map showing railroads in Scioto County

N&W Section Gang on the Pea Vine with motor car at Rarden, Ohio

photo by Pat Davis photo collection

C P & V Engine No 5. April 17, 1896, Portsmouth, Ohio

This Rarden depot was on the SE side of Taylor Street (ironically, now called Depot Street).

1901 Cincinnati Portsmouth Virginia Railway Co - Pocahontas Route 

Sardina Depot on the Peavine with engine and crew

Norvel Davis collection

looking at the beginning of the Pevine at Portsmouth

photo by Tyrone Hemry 27 June 2017

Please email additions or corrections to hladvertising@hotmail.com.
Or mail to Waverly City Guide, 455 Hay Hollow Road, Chillicothe, Ohio
45601

N&W Section Gang on the Pea Vine at Otway, Ohio.   

Pat Davis photo collection

Sardina depot around 1975

N & W Vera Bridge high water 1997